Forest Fire Warden

Groton Forest Fire Warden

Wade A. Johnson, Sr.

160 Great Rd.
Groton, VT 05046

Phone: (802) 584-3628
Email: [email protected]

Assistant Forest Fire Warden

Justin Carle

The requirements to obtain a burn permit is as follows: you need to obtain a burn permit by calling the forest fire warden within 12 hours of burning grass or brush. The only time that you are not required to get a burn permit is when there is significant amount of snow in the area in which you are burning. This also depends on the time of year such as early fall and late spring when we may have early snow storms. It is always best to contact the fire warden with any questions or doubts in burning. When there is a ban on burning it will be announced on WYKR and on the Groton website.

I must also remind people that in order to burn wood piles such as debris from buildings, other than brush, you must obtain a different permit from the Environmental Air Pollution Office. I do have the number for that if there any questions in that.

If there are any more questions, please call or email me.

Wade Johnson, Sr.
Forest Fire Warden

Contact Wade or Mathew Johnson in case of any suspicious fire or any questions about burn permits.

Forest Resource Protection Personnel District IV

Jay Lackey

Barre, VT 05641

Phone: (802) 476-0178
Email:  [email protected]

Tess Greaves

Morrisville, VT 05661

Phone: (802) 888-5733
Email: [email protected]

Lisa Wright

Barre, VT 05641

Phone: (802) 476-0184
Email:  [email protected]


Patrick Nevers

Phone: (802) 728-6631