Groton Zoning Administrator



Zoning Administrator: Brad Houghton Jr. (584-4284)


An administrative officer, sometimes called a zoning administrator or officer, shall be appointed by the planning commission, with the approval of the legislative body, for a term of three years promptly after the adoption of bylaws or when a vacancy occurs. 24 V.S.A. § 4442. The administrative officer shall provide an interested party with all forms required to obtain any municipal land use permit. The administrative officer should also coordinate efforts to provide an interested party with all other relevant permit information, such as state land use permits, and with informational resources, such as the regional planning commission. 24 V.S.A. § 4442(c). The administrative officer shall strictly interpret the zoning bylaws, and no land development may commence without a permit issued by the administrative officer, who shall also be required to post the permit during the appeal period and deliver a copy to the listers. 24 V.S.A. §§ 4442–4443. The administrative officer is also responsible for instituting enforcement action in the name of the municipality for violations of the bylaws. 24 V.S.A. § 4445.


Groton’s Zoning Bylaws were revised as of November 15, 2012.


The  Zoning Permit Application can be displayed and printed.


Note that state permits are required for many building/construction activities.  For more information on when state permits are required and the state permit process, click here.


When complete, it should be submitted with the fee shown at the top of the form to the Town Office.


Town of Groton

1476 Scott Highway

Groton, VT  05046